Domestic abuse affects one in four women in their lifetime, that’s 6–10% of women in any one year. Shockingly, the risk is intensified during pregnancy and nearly doubled when children are in the household.
What We Do Family Action supports individuals who are currently, or who have in the past, experienced domestic abuse. We work with adults, children, schools and other agencies. We deliver a range of services, providing practical and emotional support, which will:
- develop understanding of the mistaken beliefs, which lead to domestic abuse and its continuity
- illustrate the effect of domestic abuse on children and young people
- increase survivors’ ability to recognise what they need to do to protect themselves and their children
- increase self esteem and confidence to enable change
- increase awareness and access to other community resources, such as refuges, housing support, benefits, grants, further education